IP Rating for Electrical Enclosure
May 26, 2014 6 Comments
- IP letters stand for “International Protection” rating or “Ingress Protection” rating. IP ratings are defined in international standard (British BS EN 60529, IEC 60509).
- It is used to explain levels of sealing effectiveness of electrical enclosures against foreign bodies (tools, dirt etc) and moisture.
Meaning of IP Rating:
- The IP rating code is a two-digit (or optionally three-digit) designator to standardize the rating of protection level against intrusion of solids and liquids into mechanical and electrical enclosures. An enclosure can be a piece of equipment, an assembly unit, a cable or simply a connector.
- The numbers of IP of each have a specific meaning.
- First Number: The first Number indicates the degree of protection from moving parts, as well as the protection of enclosed equipment from foreign bodies.
- Second Number: The second Number indicates the protection level that the enclosure enjoys from various forms of moisture (drips, sprays, submersion etc).
- Third Number: The third digit in the designator is not part of the official IEC standard and is sometimes included (but more often omitted) to reference additional protections.
Abbreviation of IP Rating:
IP Rating Digits
|IP Rating||First Digit||Second Digit||Third Digit (Optional)|
|Solid Objects Protection||Liquids Protection||Mechanical impacts|
|No special protection||No protection.||No protection.|
|1||Protected against solid objects greater than 50mm in diameter ( such as large part of the body like hand)||Protection against vertically falling drops of water e.g. condensation.||Protects against impact of 0.225 joule (150 g weight falling from 15 cm height)|
|2||Protected against solid objects over 12 mm in diameter (person’s fingers)||Protection against direct sprays of water up to 15° from the vertical.||Protected against impact of 0.375 joule (250 g weight falling from 15 cm height)|
|3||Protected against solid objects not greater than 80mm in length and 12mm in diameter (tools and wires).||Protected against direct sprays of water up to 60° from the vertical.||Protected against impact of 0.500 joule (250 g weight falling from 20 cm height)|
|4||Protected against solid objects larger than 1 mm diameter (tools, wires, and small wires).||Protection against water sprayed from all directions (limited ingress permitted).||Protected against impact of 2.0 joule (500 g weight falling from 40 cm height)|
|5||Protected against dust limited ingress (no harmful deposit).||Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions (limited ingress).||Protected against impact of 6.0 joule (1.5 kg weight falling from 40 cm height)|
|6||Totally dust tight.||Protected against temporary flooding of water, e.g. for use on ship decks (limited ingress permitted).||Protected against impact of 20.0 joule (5 kg weight falling from 40 cm height)|
|7||N/A||Protected against the effect of immersion between 15 cm and 1 m.||N/A|
|8||N/A||Protects against long periods of immersion under pressure.||N/A|
- IP65 Enclosure: IP rated as protection against dust (6) and protection from low water pressure (5).
- IP66 Enclosure – IP rated as protection against dust (6) and protected against heavy seas or powerful jets of water (6)